WE’RE HIRING – Research Project Manager in Kuala Lumpur
Placement Title: Research Project Manager
Location: Greater KL/Klang Valley
Start: 23rd Sept 2019
Time Requirement: Full Time (5 days a week)
Type of role: Full Time
About GA Circular
Throughout Asia, GA Circular is working on pioneering, strategic projects to tackle one of the most important environmental challenges of our time – the waste epidemic in Asia and keeping plastics out of our waterways. Recent efforts include creating first of their kind baseline studies in Asia, driving harmonisation of legislations and standards and creating industry coalitions to exponentially increase recycling in Asian countries.
Why Asia? Because Asia is the biggest contributor to post-consumer waste mismanagement in the world. Over 80% of plastics entering the oceans comes from Asia with just 5 countries responsible for most of this pollution. 52% of fruits and vegetables in South & Southeast Asia are wasted, with the majority of this food loss happening at farm, post-harvest and processing stages even before it reaches stores, supermarkets or consumers.
If you are inspired and motivated to tackle complex challenges such as plastic entering the oceans and making packaging circular, then consider joining our team. Working with GA Circular provides you with the opportunity to work in a small, mindfully growing, Singapore-headquartered company dedicated to finding business-driven solutions to tackle waste challenges in Asia. We are a dedicated, diverse team of 6 nationalities with multi-faceted backgrounds.
About this Role
We are looking for an experienced Research Project Manager with strong analytical, strategic thinking and relationship skills. Your background must include 5 years of experience and knowledge of waste management and/or recycling. Ideally, your background includes working in management or environmental consulting or in a research, strategy or data analytics role in business, government agencies or NGOs.
This role involves working on packaging and food waste projects for prominent clients from leading chemicals, packaging, consumer goods and retail industries as well as city and national government agencies across Southeast Asia and India. The focus of the role will be to: create pioneering science-based research; provide key insights, strategic recommendations and measurable outcomes; and implement groundbreaking strategies to significantly drive the circular economy in Asia.
While primarily based in Malaysia, the role involves local travel within the Asia region with an opportunity to meet and build relationships with a wide range of local stakeholders from industry, government and NGOs.
– Based in Malaysia and with a minimum of 2+ years working in Asia
– Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field is required (e.g. Engineering, Economics, Environment, Business, Accounting, Finance or Physical Sciences, or Data Analytics).
– Advanced problem-solving, analytical skills, evidenced research capabilities (e.g. past research or data analysis reports which shows capabilities in these areas) and experience in primary and secondary data collection
– Strong communication and interpersonal skills to work with various clients and stakeholders
– The right attitude and skills to work with and manage relationships with people of all backgrounds, from C-Level and senior management of multinationals to recycling workers
– Capable and comfortable travelling throughout Asia to conduct research and meet with stakeholders
– Evidenced passion and deep-seated aspiration to tackle environmental challenges.
– A self-motivated and highly organized individual able to work in a dynamic and deliverables-oriented work environment
– Experience in leading teams to successfully deliver on projects within timelines
– Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel) & Google (Docs, Sheets & Slides)
– Comfortable working independently based in Malaysia with the main team is based in Singapore.
– Strong English skills – verbal and written
– Experience including management or environmental consulting or in a research, strategy or data analytics role in business, government agencies or NGOs is preferred.
– Waste management / Sustainability knowledge. Note that past experience in waste management and circular economy is not required but is preferred. If you do not have waste management experience and/or circular economy understanding we will require you to take some online courses and study reports before starting on the role.
Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your application must include:
– Tailored cover letter
– Any relevant past research with the specific role played in that research.