WE ARE HIRING – Research Leader in Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Placement Title: Research Leader
Location: Cambodia (Phnom Penh)
Start & End Date: 14th October 2019 to 31st December 2019
Time Requirement: Full Time (5 days a week). Minimum 3 days a week.
About the Role:
GA Circular has been commissioned to research plastic and packaging flows in Cambodia to provide key insights, pioneering metrics and strategic recommendations to our client and to the packaging and consumer goods industry in Cambodia to move towards a Circular Economy. This research will equip stakeholders with science based evidence, tools and frameworks to create large scale solutions.
The objective of this role is to conduct surveys for data collection and stakeholder meetings in Cambodia in order to determine the collection, recovery and recycling of packaging rates in Cambodia.
Key Responsibilities & Expectations:
Review 5 key reports on waste management and recycling in Cambodia and share findings with GA. The list of findings will be shared.
Manage and drive collection of data via surveys which includes:
○ Providing feedback on research/survey methodologies based on local knowledge
○ Testing surveys prior to executing all surveys. This includes trailing surveys and making changes to suit the local culture and needs.
○ Provide survey execution plans and recommendations based on local knowledge
○ Execute 250 high quality surveys to different stakeholder groups (including households, establishments, waste collectors, recycling pickers, junk shops and any other key stakeholders based on local knowledge.
○ Manage the local team of surveyors and make changes to survey execution plans based on feedback from Project Director/ Manager.
Stakeholder analysis and meetings in order to obtain up to date data and insights.
○ Set up > 10 stakeholder meetings with key stakeholders which includes recyclers, plastic/recycling industry bodies, government bodies (municipal authorities, ministry of environment, city waste authorities). This list will be provided by GA.
○ Attend and support GA with leading stakeholder meetings. GA will be in attendance in Cambodia for these meetings.
○ Create a stakeholder map and details. GA will provide more information upon role confirmation.
Regular (daily and weekly) communication with GA Project Director/ Manager via task management software (Asana), communication channels (Hangouts, Whatsapp) and alignment calls.
○ Bachelor’s degree in Physical Sciences (e.g. Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry), Environment, Engineering, Statistics, Business, Accounting or Finance
○ Good communication and interpersonal skills – to approach various stakeholders.
○ Capable and comfortable traveling throughout Phnom Penh to conduct surveys and meet with stakeholders.
○ Evidenced passion for the sustainability/environment/social enterprise space
○ Problem-solving, analytical skills, evidenced research capabilities (e.g. past research or data analysis reports which shows capabilities in these areas) and experience in primary and secondary data collection
○ Relationship management skills both with on-ground stakeholders, NGOs, Local government bodies as well as high ranking officials and business people
○ Self motivated and highly organized individual able to work in a dynamic and deliverables-oriented work environment
○ Strong capacity for primary and secondary data collection and research
○ Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel)
○ Strong English skills – verbal and written. This is necessary for the translation of Khmer into English.
○ Waste management experience. Note that past experience in waste management is not required but is preferred. If you do not have waste management experience we require you to take a short online course.
○ Proficiency in Google Docs, Google Sheets, Google Slides
How to Apply:
Please send a CV and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. You are welcome to share any past research or data analysis reports which shows your capabilities in the above requirements
Note for Applicants:
○ We usually receive a number of applicants for our open positions so we’ll only be able to respond to applicants who meet our requirements
○ Applicants who meet our requirements for this role can expect a 3-step interview process
About GA Circular:
Asia is the biggest contributor to post-consumer waste mismanagement in the world. GA Circular is a sustainability consultancy and project implementation partner on a mission to tackle post-consumer waste in Asia. Our vision is to create a world without waste.
We help companies design business strategies, implement pilots to recycle post-consumer waste and create closed loop supply chains so that nothing goes to waste. Our work enables our clients to become attractive to investors and loved by consumers. We have worked with clients such as P&G in India, Danone in Indonesia, Dole Foods in the Philippines, National Environment Agency in Singapore and Unilever in Vietnam.